Supposedly, life repeats itself in cycles of four years. I read this somewhere, a long time ago. Then I projected myself into the future and thought about where I’d be in four years. At present, I don’t think much about the future. I guess my tendency and ability to predict the upcoming ended with my academic life.
So, today when the theory returned to me all of a sudden, I reacted differently. I looked back to four years ago…
For every thing that is ending in my life, there is another that is beginning. For everything that has ended something else has just been set in motion. I am among new people, doing something for the first time – my work. And I use it to block out the past and to introduce me to the new. I am losing myself in it, for no clear reason other than to rediscover myself. All the manic effort at work has led to much achievement, but what is most dear to me is the exertion itself.
Whatever your hands find, do it with all your might! Even if it’s something you don’t like.
Four years ago, life was much the same. I was caught in the midst of a series of adjustments. And then too I escaped being torn apart in the confusion by holding on to something. It was theatre. I lost myself to the stage, to the dramatics society. It replaced my friends, my thoughts, my dreams, my sorrows. It changed who I was, completely, forever. I submitted myself to acting and that gave me the strength to ignore everything else that was happening.
We used a small music player to entertain us between practices. At the end of the day I’d carry it back to my room. I discovered Coldplay for the first time on that player. I remember a weekend when I put A Rush of Blood to the Head on repeated play and sat down with The Fountainhead. By Sunday evening I had finished the book, and grown fonder of Coldplay.
Today when I got back, a Coldplay concert was showing on TV. The theory seems fairly scientific to me now.
This was my favourite song then, and I know this will sound phoney, but it was the song they were playing when I turned on the TV.
God Put A Smile On My Face
Where do we go nobody knows
I've gotta say I'm on my way, down
God give me style and give me grace
God put a smile upon my face
Where do we go to draw the line
I've gotta say, I've wasted all your time, honey, honey
Where do I go to fall from grace
God put a smile upon your face, yeah
Now can you work it out I'm worse than you
Yeah, when you work it out i want it too
Now when you work out where to draw the line
Your guess is as good as mine...
Where do we go nobody knows
Don't ever say you're on your way down.
When god gave you style and gave you grace
And put a smile upon your face, oh yeah
Now when you work it out im worse than you
Yeah, when you work it out i want it too
Now when you work out where to draw the line
Your guess is as good as mine.
It's as good as mine
It's as good as mine
It's as good as mine
As good as mine
As good as mine
As good as mine
As good as mine…
Where do we go nobody knows
Don't ever say you're on your way, down
When god gave you style and gave you grace
And put a smile upon your face


0 comments:
Post a Comment