I woke up this morning and the first thought I had was that it had been two days since I brushed my teeth. Then Cookie jumped onto my chest and wagged her stupid tail.
In between the lungful of foul breath and dim-witted dog I was thinking; there is a limit to how many mornings a man can take of getting up with nothing to do. I was feeling so useless, it hurt a little bit.

WARNING: Excessive Boredom can cause your Head to Explode!!!
Anyway, I grabbed the newspaper.
I wish the papers had an infinite amount of news, followed by page after page of celebrity gossip and finally an endless gallery of gloriously intelligent women with brilliant boobs. Okay, okay I get that most people lead these really busy and kickass-grade awesome lives, (or so they tell themselves) and therefore have no time to briefly glance over more than 16 pages of news.
But there IS a market out there for The Infinite Times. ME!!! I am all for a newspaper that takes a full day to read, making it impossible to run out of things to do.
***
Just so that you know, I’m actually the epitome of dental hygiene and also the International Face (teeth?) of Oral Care for Patna. Oh well, I was the obvious choice, apart from owning the only electric toothbrush in the city I am also the only person, who knows how to, and does actually floss in Patna.
Sometimes I do such a fine job of brushing at night; I wake up with teeth so sparkling it’d be a shame to clean them immediately. The respectful thing to do would be to wait till after breakfast. But then some days I forget about it.
And so yesterday I had planned an epic, larger-than-life, post-dinner oral experience. It would begin with an elaborate fifteen minute session of power-flossing, which is basically normal flossing rigrously continued, till there is considerable bleeding. This would be followed by a two minute session of thorough tongue cleaning, ending in a coat of toothpaste (Colgate Active Salt) left on the tongue to destroy any remnant bacteria. Then a round of scrupulous brushing (toothpaste: Meswak, for variety and hence motivation). To end things on a high-note I designed a shorter second session of nuanced flossing and finally a gargle with industrial strength mouthwash.
You will never have to visit a dentist if you follow the above, and you will also be unanimously declared the most boring person alive. But then that’s a small price to pay. Also, a small warning, all this effort can make you hungry and you might feel mildly stupid if that were to happen.
So, anyway, I had it all planned and everything, but I fell asleep before dinner even.
***
If early man was never hungry he’d just have stayed back in his cave and led a life of intense sexual debauchery and passionate laziness. We would all be early men still! Now it’s debatable whether we’d be happier than we are now. I mean a life without any progress and hence no antibiotics or ipods can be painful, but at the same time there would be total absence of a lot of the evils of modern society - religion, clothes, wars, economic depression, Paris Hilton. I think it’s a profound question, beyond the scope of this blog. Maybe you the astute reader of this fascinating online journal could share some thoughts on this.
God’s a smart cookie that way, he could’ve made us without stomachs and with solar panels on our backs and ultra efficient wind turbines for ears but instead he forced us to move our asses by giving us an appetite. With that thought, I entered the kitchen, hoping it would give me something to do.
Severe boredom on its own can push man to accomplish much, but if it happens along with acute laziness then it’s a bit like stagflation, wholly unproductive.
So anyway, I didn’t feel like toiling over flavoured mashed potatoes or spicy mutton curry. Instead I just made some stupid masala to sprinkle over tea, to make my morning chai maid-proof. That woman has an honorary doctorate in the techniques and intent of turning tea into poison.
***
My home’s not exactly the repository of remarkable things to do. I mean the folks are awesome and Cookie is a whole lot of fun, but they sleep way too much to be of any real entertainment value. So I headed to work, on a Saturday!!
***
Desperate times can push a man to do the unthinkable, in my case, striking a conversation with my driver.
Prem Nath (Love God)! Hah, and you thought drivers were always called insipid names like Dubey or Choubey or simply Driver.
Now Prem Nath is no ordinary driver, he is a man of profound depth. He is a meek, deadpan depressed sort of fellow, no one has ever caught him without a frown or heard him speak beyond a few words and his first wife eloped with another man soon after the wedding.
But there's a colourful side to him; he paints his nails red and immediately married a second woman who the maid says is way prettier than the first one. Almost like saying, take that bitch! Except, like Droopy, Prem Nath would say it cheerlessly.
He is a dreamer; if I don’t tell Prem Nath to turn left for office; I run the danger of finding myself in another city. Sometimes he will just slow down the car and be oblivious to the subsequent violent honking and middle fingers. You have to poke him gently out of his abstractions, and he will respond by travelling faster than light and jumping all signals.
So anyway, I thought I’d talk to him.
Me (the God of Small Talk): What’s with the traffic? Is there a rally?
No Reply, my employer ego deeply hurt but not badly enough to forgo experiment.
Me (the Saint of Never-Give-Inn): I think there is… Prem Nath??
Prem Nath: (with disdain and mostly to himself): There seems to be a jam, hence all the cars.
There is a pause in the Universe; then the thunderous vibration of his philosophical account makes the car wobble a bit.
Me (shaken and stirred): Oh.
***
When you come to work on Saturday only to repel boredom there is a high chance of failure. But then what are blogs for?


14 comments:
As a regular reader of your blog, I demand that you put up a photo of your dog here.
As the author of this blog, and owner of said dog i demand you tell me your name!
:)
Well, I'll have to check with Cookie, she is a bit paranoid when it comes to privacy.
Nikku,
Nice post re. love the oral hygiene bit and I totally agree that you are indeed the only person in entire JOB following such a routine. I have told you enuff times that you are a snob, have n't I ? :P
BTW did even a tinge of shame enter into you considering that ppl want to see the photo of a bitch rather than yours.
On behalf of shaitan ummmm... reeka
WHAT??? The International Face of Oral Hygiene for all of Jharkhand, Orissa AND Bihar?
Awwww. I'd like to thank my parents for my wonderful teeth, and of course the makers of Meswak.
Ya man, completely devastated. The language suggests its a female-anonymous commenter.. it's tragic.
But what can i say, photo shall be up soon!
Boyo, On other hand the driver talk sequence is oh so frequent with myself as well. At least in your case the drivers understand Hindi. Here, I have been made to bear the insult of a talking like a gibbering monkey without a toot from one who operates the hoot,on several occasions.
And for the last time, stop working on Saturdays. There are so many things to do - things Private, things Vivid,things Evil yet Angelic,things that leave a mark like a door salesman, things that should make you stop like a Red Light. (Anyone who gets this sentence is one after my own heart)
On behalf of natkhat pustak keet
Orissa's will be a lonely sullen place once you leave..
epic, larger-than-life, post-dinner oral experience....ROTFL...wonder how that went!
U remember i had voiced certain misgivings about you in hostel?
Btw...why do u have a driver? why dont u drive urself? or is it for the entertainment value...he doesnt entertain u much...doesnt give u much material for the blog!
What misgivings? (Send SMS)
Dude, it's patna, i dont want to get run over by cows..
plus it's difficult to drive and play Fifa on the phone at the same time.
Its guys like you because of which we are subject to inane trash in the name of humor in this country. Get your ass out of Patna and start doing some television/film work...immediately!
yes.. all in good time! :)
I just got back from the dentist with my face half numb thanks to anesthesia owing to two roots canals only to open your blog to read instructions regarding oral hygiene. How very ironical!! Wish I hadn't neglected my teeth back in school i wouldn't be feeling so much like early man right now. And to think about what those guys would have endured ; no antibiotics , no pain killers, no anesthesia, but then no dentists also which would have been a relief (money blood sucking bitches i tell you). Its hard to choose between the prehistoric and modern life ; freedom vs comfort, laid-back vs hectic, utopia vs politics , peace vs war , tribal orgies vs terrorism , each has its own pros and cons. Life as early man would have been so challenging and rewarding ; Whoever makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man ; I think we would would have found more organic and sustainable solutions to our problems. But hey, then we wouldn't be discussing this ;)
ya man, dentists are an evil lot..
early man wouldnt have known better.. the pain and discomfort of a life without antibiotics and the internet. there would be no way to compare..
just like years from now when our great-grandchildren will wonder how we endured dentists once they have figured out a way around them..
only, their lives will be far more complicated than ours by then..
Nikolas van Patnovich
I think you are being untrue to your devoted blog audience by not telling them of the real reason why you do not drive. (I should use another word instead of "do" here)
guessing the word is "should" here? :D
common nikhil tell us!
Post a Comment