Sunday, February 1

Dream Girl


“It’s strange, I dream the best dreams in the world and yet my life is about as ordinary as any.”


She wasn’t even looking at him.

“If I could, I’d go someplace where dreams came true all the time. Not wishes. Proper dreams. Mine have to be the most amazing dreams ever.”

It was an odd wall that the two of them sat on. It began abruptly but with much purpose, then it ran a few feet before giving up and collapsing as unexpectedly as it arose. From the village it looked like a slender headless shoulder overlooking the river.

A sudden breeze interrupted his monologue. He watched as her soft hair were taken around in tiny waves and slow brilliant swirls, and said to himself, “God! She is pretty.”

“You are pretty. Beautiful.” He reached out for her shadow-face with his shadow-hand.

It made her blush, but she also cracked a frail smile.

“What if we are actually our shadows?” “Have you ever thought about it? I once had this elaborate dream where my body was just that, a body. I was actually my shadow!”

Both of them paused and suspiciously examined the dark outline glued to their lives.

She wondered if she was sitting on the wall because she wanted to; it was possible that she was there only because her gloomy friend craved for a swim? Staring at her shadow ripple across the cold river she couldn’t really make up her mind. What was her mind?

Did his shadow love her shadow more than he loved her? There was no end to this speculation. Was he only playing out his shadow’s love?

Mala was as beautiful as he was ordinary. They were, however, both equally crazy.

“Where do I get these ideas from?”

“I don’t Mala, I just dream them. They visit me at night. Maybe, maybe it’s you who is strange. And because I am with you all day, I get these strange ideas at night?”

“Okay, I was only kidding. A joke? Now don’t go silent on me again.”

Mala was born mute. But he had often thought that even if she could speak, Mala would choose not to. She went about her life in a way that didn’t require her to speak. She had no questions to ask of anything or anyone, no anger to express, no gossip to exchange, no lies to tell, no favours to request for, no words of love to be shared. In many ways you couldn’t tell Mala from her shadow. They were both equally inanimate. But Mala was as uniquely intriguing as her shadow was ordinary.

“You know, I could spend my entire life with you. Would you be able to? I guess you’d be. Ya?”

To begin with, everyone had loved Mala. She was far too lovely for that little village with a strange aimless wall. But then news of her muteness spread, and the admiration quickly turned to sympathy. Slowly Mala’s place in the life of the villagers began to resemble that of the wall. The wall was too big and she too pretty to be completely forgotten. But Mala and the wall served no purpose and were, as time passed, duly ignored.

“Ya??? Hmm. Doesn’t matter.”

She wasn’t even looking at him.

In the village, all the kids went to the same school, and the same teacher taught all of them, irrespective of age, the same lessons everyday for a week. Then the classes repeated themselves. This would go on till the kid grew old enough to get married, or the teacher passed away, or till the river climbed over the wall and destroyed the village.

He met Mala at school. And while she was instantly ignored, he received a lot of attention. For the first few months there wasn’t a day when he returned home without a bruise and a nasty nickname. You could say that theirs was a friendship born out of a process of elimination. They were both removed from the lives of everyone else at school.

He had a large nose, was exceptionally scrawny, and his father lived with another woman in the city leaving his mother and him behind. This nearly drove his mother mad and he was left an orphan for all practical purposes. Mala, however, barely took note of this, and even volunteered to listen to his long sorry tales of missing his father while he grew up and hating his nose.

Since then their friendship had grown. They were forever with one another, in school, by the well, walking past the fields or sitting aimlessly on the wall.

“What if there are people that eat our dreams at night, Mala? I mean, not people, but things we can’t see?”

“It could be true?!!” “Why else would we have such brief dreams before we wake up?”

“Mala, you bum, all you see are leftover dreams!” “The good bit is eaten up while you are snoring away.”

“You DO snore.” “Snoring has nothing to do with being mute!!”

“I’m not dumb Mala, I only have a large nose and no father!”

“But think about it?” “Who could it be?”

“Maybe you can stay up tonight, beside me, and check?”

“I have the finest dreams in the world Mala! The dream-eaters will surely come to feast on my dreams.”

She thought of her own hollow dreams. Even if such a tribe of dream-eaters existed they’d waste no time on her. What would she have to do to dream? Talk?

He thought of the others in the village. All they could dream for was a good monsoon, or a healthy child. They had absolutely no imagination and little ambition.

“Where do you think they’d be Mala? These creatures? They’d meet us don’t you think?”

She was looking out into the horizon. The sun was beginning to set and it cast a long shadow of the two of them over the village.

The gentle breeze returned, and this time Mala smiled widely and let her hair dance in soft flutters. He thought to himself, “God, could she look any prettier?”

“You know, you are the only one I can tell these things to. No one else would understand.”

He closed his eyes, and really wished he was somewhere else, where dreams came to life. Proper dreams.

***

“Poor boy!”

“Yes, the wretched man left the two of them. Did he leave any money?”

“I don’t think so!”

“He seems to be going mad like his mother; have you seen him? He sits by the river, on that wall, all day speaking to himself!”

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story but next time try to write one with humor and possibly a happy ending. Let us see your hand at that kind of stuff :)

slowtumblinglife said...

thank you!!

and for you alone i shall try one of those. but you know, it's so much more difficult to write humorous story..

anyway, attempt shall be made soon enough..

Anonymous said...

nikular
Excellent . Will call & talk more

slowtumblinglife said...

Gulcharta..

You've made my day!! :)

Read the others when you have the time.. And yes we will talk tonight.

I think im going to write a post on the incredible love we share!!!

Anonymous said...

You must you must....(see option 3 of 'Like it?')

slowtumblinglife said...

you could start?

please mail Credit Card No., CCV and Expiry details to my id.

I promise i will take only as much as is absolutely necessary to survive while i write long and well enough for a book.

slowtumblinglife said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused. Is Mala male or female? We have only one name, but two characters, yet, I'm confused because I can't figure out which one is which. Are they the same character?

It's an interesting idea, and I really like the concept of the story, but I feel it could be polished a bit. Show me the characters, don't tell me about them. I don't want you to tell me that Mala and the other person are equally intriguing. The word "intriguing" means nothing to me. Show me what's intriguing about them.

slowtumblinglife said...

Hey Gabriel,

Mala is an common name for girls in India.

She is his dream-girl. He has no name. well he hasn't a name, because I couldn't come up with one.

"They were both equally inanimate. But Mala was as uniquely intriguing as her shadow was ordinary."

Intriguing is used for Mala, not for him. And it comes from her being as mute as her shadow, but her shadow was ordinary, just like everyone else's in the village.

In comparison to her shadow, Mala is intriguing. She is a mute girl, too pretty for a quaint Indian village and has a dreamer for a friend.

In the end, she doesn't even exist.

:)

Anonymous said...

I just re-read the story, keeping your clarifications in mind, and I liked it a lot better. Thanks for the reply.

slowtumblinglife said...

Hey Gabriel,

Glad you could enjoy it. And thank you for writing in to tell me. :)

If you feel like it, read the latest post. Its another story, In the Mood for Love named after Wong Kar Wai's film.

david mcmahon said...

Someone left a comment on my blog telling me to come and read this post. I reckon you;ve don a great job. Well done.

slowtumblinglife said...

Hi David,

Hope you liked it as well.. Glad you could drop by..

Saz said...

great post...congrats on potd

slowtumblinglife said...

Hey.. Thanks, and glad you could drop by..

:)

Merisi said...

Beautifully written (and yes, I like the story, humor is not always part of our daily lives, is it?)!

Congratulations on winning a spot on David's Post of the Day lineup! :-)

slowtumblinglife said...

thanks :)

and congratulations to you too!!

you have the loveliest pictures on your blog, would make anyone want to be tele-ported to Vienna, immediately!!!

Sandi McBride said...

I'm here via David and wanted to say "congrats" on Post of the Day mention...and to tell you it was a lovely story, I could see the shadow people, and they became real to me. You are very talented.
Sandi

slowtumblinglife said...

thank you for the kind words!!

and congratulations to you too..

:) i just had a look at your blog, its phenomenal!!

do visit again...

Narendra shenoy said...

Beautifully written! And very touching.

slowtumblinglife said...

Thank you..

Sabihur Rahman said...

Thank you.

slowtumblinglife said...

:)

Heather said...

Please email me at artandchristianity [at] gmail.com re: your submission to Blog Nosh. Your email didn't come through on the submission form. Thank you.

René said...

Hi! I am a photojournalist with a blog and a camera. The blog is named "Tales from The Amazon and Beyond" and I'm confident that you will enjoy it. I recount my adventures and experiences in front and behind the lens at stillmind-thoughts.blogspot.com and/or this other one at short-stories.posterous.com. It would be great if you could check it out and give me your feedback. And if you'd like we could trade subscriptions.
I thank you in advance.

Best regards,

René ~stillmind~

Post a Comment