Saturday, May 23

Icarus at the Edge of Time


So anyway, I have been away for a while and much has happened in my tiny universe.

I read the most brilliant book on Physics - The Fabric of the Universe.

Einstein used his ridiculously clever theory of Special Relativity to prove that space and time are not individually absolute but united into what is called ‘spacetime’. Using this, one can say that just like all of space, ALL of time exists now, at once.

Think of the entire history of the universe as a movie. The entire movie exists at one go, but we see it frame by frame.

In fact time itself is far more complicated.

Reality emanates from the ‘flow’ of time which we feel through the perception of a past, present and future.

But it’s actually explained by nothing more than the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Everything tends from lower to higher Entropy (disorder). The Pre-Big Bang Universe was in a state of the lowest entropy and we move to the future that is ever more chaotic.

It is the reason eggs will splatter and not unsplatter.

I, on my part, used my outstanding ability to fell bummed about any and everything to draw my own startling conclusion.

See if all of space and time exist anyway then where is the question of Free Will? We are all caught in a sort of movie and actually have no real say over our future. Of course we don’t sense that.

No matter what I do, don’t do, think, love, hate, write, eat, feel – it’s already been decided.

And the worst part is this discovery doesn’t really set me up for a life of laziness and sexual debauchery.

The choice has already been made. If that’s my future it is unavoidable and I will have a lot of fun and die a very poor but perhaps a more satisfied man.

In fact that’s exactly what I was thinking about the blog. The next post is
already written. I needn’t do anything about it. It will come when the time is right. It will, in fact, write itself.

Bloody absolute fucking spacetime!!! 10 full days, dear reader???!

So anyway I was floating through another infinite yet absolute ocean – The Internet. And I came upon something that helped me snap out of Science...

Boobs come in broadly two sizes, large and well, at least she can cook!

Sorry Ladies. Might I remind you of the total absence of free will?

Anyway, do read the book, if a simple understanding of Inflationary Cosmology, Quantum Mechanics, Superstring Theory, Time Travel, Multiple Universes, Decoherence (MS Word thinks Lecherous is the correct spelling of Decoherence!) is what gets you your kicks.

Really though, read it!

***

You would think that much earth-shattering had happened for one week, but wait, there’s more.

Having consistently good bowel movement has recently made a decisive shift from the Top Five To-Do Things list to my catalogue of Top Five Coveted Possessions.

Top Five To-Do List

Megan Fox (NEW)
Being Incredibly Rich, Famous and Healthy
Wynona Ryder
Understanding Stuff (Physics, Philosophy, Economics) and Reading
Learning How to Make and then Making the Perfect Cup of Coffee, and also Movies

Top Five Most Coveted Possessions

Consistently Good Bowel Movement (NEW)
iPod
My Mind
The Single Strand of Colourless Hair centred on my Forehead
All the Books, Movies and Music I Have.

Oh the secret?

Well it’s a bit graphic, but I will tell you that there is some involvement, in no particular order, of Beginner (yet fairly intricate) Yoga, fruits, lime-juice, beetroot, iPod, brisk walking, warm water, coffee, newspaper, bizarre sound, and honey.

***

Also, very soon, I will be getting my wrist operated. It’s scaring the shit out of me. For some reason it reminds me of that vague short film by Dali, Un Chien Andalou, with the eye getting slashed by a razor.

I mean who gets operated on the wrist? Stomachs, chests, and thighs I can understand. Wrist??

Apparently the incision will have to be made across the centre of my palm!! Not only does that sound incredibly painful, it will totally wipe out much of my lovely long Life and Fate Lines.

Thank God for Special Relativity!

***

AND, yours truly will, within weeks, be moving out of this place after spending two years here. Much has changed since I got to this place. I’m yet to form an opinion on this move, that and further details will soon follow. But till then –

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!

***

Btw, Icarus…


7 comments:

donscave said...

Congratulations on the Bowel Movement and regaining ur status as a NRB!

slowtumblinglife said...

*sniff*

thanks..

both have been such distant dreams for so long..

*sniff*

The Comedian said...

Colourless hair is actually black... white being the presence of all colour rather than the absence of it.. so to call it 'colourless' would be incorrect.

And I may be wrong, but the whole theory of calvinism and predestination and universe with a single path was kind of negated with the concept of infinite parallel universes; this coming more from movies like the Jet Li starring The One; but by that theory, every choice we make splits the universe into two. Kind of like Schrodengers Cat but with the other possibility actually being carried through in a seperate alternate universe.

The coolest thing about this being that there could be a universe which has a 22 year old me as the richest man in the country and another one the richest in the world.

Also typo... "fell bummed"???

Long day at work... sorry for the rant... :)

slowtumblinglife said...

colourless as in transparent?

oh multiple universes or multiverses as a concept has long been rejected.. science is all in favour of loop theory.

and also the possibility that reality, and spacetime by extension, are the hologram-images of something that is happening in a separate two dimensional world.

:) typo.. hmm let it be now i guess..

what nasty things do they do to you at work?

The Comedian said...

colourlessness as in white

I thought that string theory was still in fashion? And multiverses by their very nature can never be falsified. If tomorrow I prove that the theory is false, then there will be half of an infinite number of universes where it is always true. :)

Also: http://xkcd.com/171/

Nothing at all. Only training ppts and videos. Bheja has been marinated and fried.

slowtumblinglife said...

brilliant link. and you know, its totally accurate.

The Comedian said...

I love xkcd...

http://xkcd.com/442/

Post a Comment